Linear Equations is a topic from which you could expect 1 to 2 questions in the GMAT quant section. The concept is tested both in the problem solving format - mainly as a word problem - and in the data sufficiency format - mainly in testing your knowledge about unique solutions to a pair of linear equations. The topic is an important one.
Concepts CoveredSimple linear Equations, equations of the first order with one, two or three variables are tested in GMAT Problem Solving and Data Sufficiency sections of the GMAT CAT Test. 4GMAT's GMAT Math Lesson Book in this chapter covers the following concepts:
- Definition of simple equation and degree of equation.
- Method to solve equations.
- Definition of linear equation.
- Illustrative examples to explain the above concepts.
- Definition of independent equation, dependent equation, and linear equation in two variables.
- Introduction to the concept of system of linear equations and the two methods to solve simultaneous linear equations, namely, solving by substitution and solving by elimination.
- Different types of solutions to a system of linear equations.
- Special cases in linear equations.
- 3 illustrative examples and 13 solved examples that would help understand the concepts explained in the chapter. Includes word problems.
- 8 exercise problems with the answer key and also explanatory answers.
- 34 questions test on Linear and Quadratic equations as part of the work book.
Solve the following system of equations
5x + 4y -z = 26; 3x + y + z = 5; -2x + 5y - 2z = 19
5x + 4y - z = 26 (1)
3x + y + z = 5 (2)
-2x + 5y - 2z = 19 (3)
Adding equations (1) and (2), we get 8x + 5y = 31 (4)
Multiplying equation (2) by 2 and adding the result with equation (3), we get ; 4x + 7y = 29 (5)
Multiplying equation (5) by 2 and deducting it from equation (4), we get y = 3
Substituting y = 3 in equation (5), we get x = 2
Substituting values of x and y in equation (1), we get z = -4
Chapterwise details of 4GMAT's Math Lesson Books
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Set Theory
- Sequences & Series
- Number Theory
- Descriptive Statistics
- Ratio Proportion
- Rates : Speed Distance
- Rates : Races
- Rates : Pipes Cisterns
- Rates : Work Time
- Solid Geometry
- Coordinate Geometry
- GMAT™ and GMAC™ are registered trademarks of the Graduate Management Admission Council™. The Graduate Management Admission Council™ does not endorse, nor is it affiliated in any way with the owner or any content of this web site.
- Copyright 2004 - 16 4GMAT.COM, A division of Test Catalyst (India) Private Limited
All rights reserved.